View Single Post
Old 19-05-20, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Hello again gents,
Dudley, Re: your image group 4. University Regements.
I was called up for National Service in 1966. Served with the 10th Anti-Aircraft Artillery, Youngsfield, University of Cape Town Regement.

I was discharged in 1967. The badges you show for this regement were most probably issued some time after that. Even after discharge as a reserve I was unaware of them. So maybe altough oficially adopted in 1963, it took a while for them to filter down and actually be issued.

Atached my issued badges:
1. Cap badge. We buffed the centre hub detail flat to give more shine when on parade & inspection.
2. Lapel badge from L-R. a. As issued. b. Centre partially buffed to give more shine for inspection. c. orb completely buffed for extra sparkle.
3. Shoulder title.
4. Batlle dress embroidered arm patch.
5. And of course buttons.
Tony,
Just a thought regarding the badges you wore as a national serviceman and a uniform of the unit that Brian shows in another post.

This is not based on any evidence, but maybe the generic artillery cap and collars you show were worn by national servicemen and the enameled badge with the smaller Ubique collar badges were reserved for Officers and/or PF members of the unit if such existed. This may explain the scarcity of these University enameled badges.

Steven