View Single Post
Old 25-03-17, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
The ACF are recorded as wearing the Bucks Bn badge from 1974 until 1979.

From the Bucks Bn website:

The cadets of the Buckinghamshire Army Cadet Force (ACF) formed in 1942 wore the Buckinghamshire Battalion badge for a while, but when the TA was reformed in 1947 and the Bucks Battalion lost its infantry role and converted to Royal Artillery, the Bucks ACF seems to have adopted the Bugle Horn of the regular Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry. It was not until 1974 when the Buckinghamshire ACF affiliated to the Royal Green Jackets that the old Bucks Battalion cap badge was again taken into use, although only until 1979 when the badge of the Royal Green Jackets was adopted.
But see the photo of beret with the cloth Bucks badge that I posted earlier. The beret is dated 1951 and another is dated 1954. These are unlikely to have been worn in 1974, so must date from a period in the early to late 1950's. I am aware of ACF units wearing cap badges of long departed units, the North Irish Horse and Ayrshire Yeomanry in the 1980's for instance. If supplies of the Bucks Battalion cap badge had dried up in the 50's I suggest it would be cheaper to get cloth versions manufactured for cadets (just like the PWRR beret badges foisted on Cadets when the Regiment was formed).

Ian H