View Single Post
Old 10-05-21, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzman View Post
You are so right!

The number of times I've walked away from items or decided to get them later, only to change my mind, rush back, and find that they've been sold to someone else!

I've already made one offer, which was rejected as being too low, and I've now made another offer and I'm waiting to see what the reaction is to this one. I have been told how much he would like to get for it and I'm not too far off. If I do get it I will do the correct cowardly thing and lie to my wife about how much I paid for it! If not I fear she may remove my testicles with blunt pruning shears. She's a paramedic and quite handy with a scalpel!

If I do get it I'll post images on here.

Pete
Pete
I tried to PM you but it has gone astray. Over 200 of these were made for the centenary celebrations of Trafalgar in 1905 and were used in the Corps for tattoos until after WW2. These were design by Herbert Benham, they now look very good with 120 years of ageing. The only original one I’ve seen used a lot of tar to water proof the leather as was common in naval caps of the period as well. What usually looks like ribbon actually isn’t - the band and edge are painted and the ribbon going to the button should be tarred string. Good luck, it sounds like an amazing find.
Yours
John