View Single Post
Old 17-09-22, 08:02 AM

I suspect that T/RE/CINQUEPORTS never existed, at least not as a single title. The Fortress Company of that name seems to be first mentioned in the London Gazette in 1910, so is a later creation. It has been on my list of 'wanted' for many years but have never come across any information to confirm it existed.
There were single row CINQUEPORTS titles in white metal and brass worn with separate RA titles. So one possibility might be that if it was worn it may have been as separate T RE CINQUEPORTS parts as worn by the RA Volunteers. This might explain why a single title has not turned up.

All titles I have seen for RE Volunteer Field Companies north of the Tyne have been as NORTHUMBRIAN. This is not consistent with the naming of other Militia and Volunteer units in the area but I have both T/RE/NORTHUMBRIAN and C/RE/NORTHUMBRIAN and have never seen a NORTHUMBERLAND version. Tyne Division Electrical Engineers is referred to as Northumberland (Fortress) Royal Engineers in the London Gazette but for reasons unknown they chose this different variation. No doubt there is an interesting story behind this somewhere.

Best regards,
Andy