View Single Post
Old 02-01-23, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf42 View Post
For good measure, and to broaden the picture, I'll add to the mix this item from Chambers Journal which I overlooked earlier:

Chambers Journal, 24 September 1892

[re.Culloden] Another regiment, the 13th, commemorates its terrible loss on the same field in a different fashion: the officers wear perennial mourning in the shape of a black stripe in their gold lace.

This kind of perpetual mourning is not, however, peculiar to the 13th. The 65th and 84th have black-edged lace on the officers' tunics, in memory, it is said, of the loss they sustained on the Nive in 1813; and black gloves used to be worn by the 84th to commemorate the same event. Some other corps have the black stripe in their gold lace, but it seems to be very doubtful for what reasons. In certain cases it is supposed to be a symbol of mourning for General Wolfe or Sir John Moore; in others, for heavy losses in action.
Absolutely fascinating stuff Jack and proof I think that where traditions are alleged to have begun, or relate to events in the 1700s, then it becomes increasingly difficult to ascertain their veracity with any sense of certainty. You have really opened my eyes with this thread in respect of black appointments supposedly associated with mourning.
As regards the PERRY book, you should note that it is only 6.5 inches by 4 inches and 1 and 3/4 inches thick. In the US copies are going for over $100, but in the U.K. I’ve found one for sub £20 and an original for not much more. The diverse range of information with which it’s packed makes it money well spent and there’s rarely a week goes by that I don’t consult within it. See current advert below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E269DAD2-F969-4019-8AB1-50A8A7A8CDEE.jpg (32.7 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 05-01-23 at 02:31 PM.