Thread: Sealed Patterns
View Single Post
Old 13-05-08, 08:09 PM

Mike I did wonder whether you were referring to "recent" SPs - ie for AAs. I know of those on cards. I have to admit I generally lose interest in 1958 - with only a couple of TA units up to 1967 using AA.
I didn't know about "Donnington fires" - are they the ones you, 54, refer to ???
HK once said that he got his info from Didcot - I presume the SP dates. The ACD records were not available when he (Gaylor etc) was writing.
54, As you say, there's lots of useful info in what they record, certainly for earlier ones, eg WHICH variation/type was the "original" sealed one (as I said the 1890s rubbings are useful for this), and maker - this would allow you to distinguish different varieties etc. Then date.
As for using earlier patterns with "modifications" this only tended to come about I think from eg 1920s but is certainly not comprehensive. Some of the ACD records have a SP for a change from one crown to another and even loops to sliders ! In other cases they note "minor change" often with a reference to "see note xyz" - I WISH I knew where these notes were !
I was interested to read about holes in sliders - I assume however you are talking about "modern" AA ones. There was a discussionb about this phenomenon on another forum where it was thought that they were to sew the badge into place on a FSC or a beret (but we are talking 2nd WW time !).
Could anyone tell me if it is possible to visit Didcot and look at the collection there ?
J