View Single Post
Old 03-11-10, 04:14 AM

Hi,

I’m the new kid on the block who found this site whilst trying to find out some information on the Parachute Regiment Cap Badge. My question is, what was the date that the badge was approved and what date was the badge first issued. Now living down under my sources of reference are somewhat limited, can anyone help.
The first post by Arnhem Jim is most interesting and perhaps I can provide some additional information to him. I joined The Parachute Regiment in August 1960. The cap badge that I was issued with was unpolished white metal. In November 1960 new recruits were the first to be issued with those inferior staybright badges. My original beret badge would be no value to collectors as the rigging lines, parachute panel lines and the lions face are severely diminished from being polished and rubbed on Brasso soaked on the interior of a cigarette packet. To me my beret badge is priceless. The badge backing is fashioned out of the metal lid of a’ State Express 555’ cigarette tin in lieu of the issued plastic backing.
The method of getting your cap badge was by putting your hand in a box and pulling one out as you were in the line getting issued with your kit in the depot store. A friend who was in a platoon four intakes after me drew a cap badge with a Tudor (Kings) Crown on it. He refused to change it and became the butt of the comment “don’t come the old soldier with me”.
During my time there were quite a few changes and variations in dress and trials which I have yet to read being accurately reported, possibly through lack of proper record keeping.

Dave