View Single Post
Old 17-09-10, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
Chris, here's a KC cap badge in AA that was sold about a month ago on ebay.

If I understand KK well, it (KC in AA) was sealed 11th september 1959 (KK 2059). But KK 2060 says that QC in WM was sealed 28th september 1954, and QC in AA sealed 18th april 1966. Can anyone please explain?
Hi Luc,

This is the same as I have.

The thing is that I have no evidence whatsoever that this badge was made in A/A. These have a slider that I have problems with identifying and if you look at the 'bulges' on the wings next to the parachute you will see that they are uneven - not a good look.

They could have been a trial but they do seem to turn up a lot with yours being the fourth example I have seen.

As K+K state that this badge was sealed in WM in 1954 I would expect it to have been made in that metal in K/C even though Elizabeth was the sovereign. She made explicit remarks that the official crown and cypher were only to be changed (I have written this up in the 'Change of Crowns' chapter) when stocks dictated so as K/C WM procuring was well underway I would expect them to have been bulk manufactured and stocks issued until exhausted when the QC A/A item took over in 1966. i.e. there was no reason to make an KC A/A item.

I seriously believe that all the K/C A/A are duds and hope you did not pay too much. I'm trying to get the photography to my book finished ASAP but it has taken a lot longer than expected. Hopefully this will prevent purchases of suspect A/A badges but in the meantime I urge members to contact me on my Gmail address to check up on 'exotic' or rare badges. I

Remember that I base all my work on official documentation not what dealers or collectors say and think.

By the way, there were a LOT less A/A officially authorised for issue and bulk manufactured than previously thought and a great many of these are 5 quid eBay items.

Regards

Chris