View Single Post
Old 12-06-16, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee222 View Post
You have to live in Australia or New Zealand be for you can register on Trade me I tried .
I have no problem with NZ badges being sold outside New Zealand, but this NZ Boer war hat badge is something special and I am hoping it will remain in New Zealand.

To help put it in perspective, the unofficial NZ Boer war shoulder titles turn up on Trade me on an average of one a year, in comparison, the unofficial NZ Boer war hat badges rarely turn up for sale, in fact except for the ones from Laurie Osborne’s collection, I personally have seen no others sold on trade me.

As already mentioned, I rate my own Kiwi / New Zealand Boer war hat badge as (one of) the fourth rarest New Zealand badges pictured in Corbett’s badge book.
The document (post #10) from the Director of the Dominion Museum also shows that no effort was made to preserve a “collection of the badges used in South Africa war” for purposes of future identification and for the information of the public.

For those who might think of circumnavigating Trade me rule 4.3, and this includes buyers in Australia, when sending an historic item outside of New Zealand you must respect our laws, and by trying to send such an important badge outside of New Zealand you may be in breach of the New Zealand “Protected Objects Act 1975.”

The way I interpret it, it comes down to - are there “2 comparable examples permanently held in New Zealand public collections.”
As far as I am aware, there are no examples of unofficial NZ Boer war hat badges held in New Zealand public collections.

If an unofficial NZ Boer war hat badge exists outside of New Zealand then that is fair game for the overseas collectors, good luck to finding such a badge.