View Single Post
Old 05-11-20, 01:16 PM

Default APPEAL FOR HELP PLEASE

Please excuse me if I have posted in the wrong place.

A good friend of mine is having to clear his father's house and has come across Great War medals and badges. He asked if I could help find out more about them. I enclose a page of a Village History Project (CHRISTLETON GREAT WAR STORIES) that mentions the five Wright brothers (see Centre Column of article) who served in the Great War, and commemorates Cecil Wright who died on 9 November 2018 - just two days before the armistice. CHRISTLETON IS A CHESTER VILLAGE.

There are several medals - listed below, including those of further relatives.

It would be extremely useful to know what the full medal entitlements were for each person, just to see how many are missing etc - the house clearance continues, but it is most likely the groups have been split between family members, or something similar.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ACCESS TO MEDAL ROLLS PLEASE? just to see which medals may be missing

I am not sure how some of the items relate to each other, but this is what there is:

Medals

Victory Medal WW1 - 1529 - Pte C WRIGHT - Ches Yeo

Victory Medal WW1 - 26539 - 2 AM H WRIGHT RAF

For faithful service in the Special Constabulary GV - Frederick WRIGHT

Defence Medal WW2 - WA CUNNINGTON - (boxed and with certificate)
Box addressed to Green Lane, Vicars Cross, Chester.

Badges

Early of Chester's IY - Lugged, Bi Metal (Note: Imperial Yeomanry)

North Staffordshire - Lugged Bi Metal (Victorian / Edwardian)

Royal Artillery - KC - Gilding Metal - no fittings (slight sign of possible slider)

Given the first two badges appear to predate WW1, are we looking for further members of the family who may have served earlier. The ages of the brothers may preclude them from this assumption.

There are further items associated with D CUNNINGTON - A noted cross-country runner within the Cheshire Cross-Country Championships etc. He looks to have run for 'Wirral' in some races (before 1974 Wirral was part of Cheshire).

An embroidered 'North Staffordshire Regiment' Sports Badge is believed to belong to him.
ALSO
A pair of White on Black embroidered shoulder designations 'NORTH STAFFORD'

I never cease to be amazed at the generous sharing of knowledge on this forum, and know the family would much appreciate any help.

Very many thanks
Mike