View Single Post
Old 07-04-16, 07:32 PM

Absolutely and there you have it Alan - I understand the intricacies of the amalgamations, but ultimately we don't really know for sure about many of these anodised TA type badges, in whichever way one wishes to describe them. I don't believe they can all be readily dismissed. The lineage of many units is indeed difficult to follow.

As I understand all of the above we are saying:-

So then is it the case of the A/A R Wilts Territorials, that the badge isn't illegitimate in itself, its highly likely to have been manufactured before cancellation (by several makers its would appear because things actually exist - marked Gaunt B.Ham and Firmin London) but effectively not required for issue - specifically in the case of the RWY detachment who appeared to wear their original cap badge for a short period within the R Wilts Territorials, before disbanding - with the former Wiltshire Regt Company, retaining their former cap badge presumably?

The A/A Hampshire & IOW Territorials would appear to also fall into this 'made but not required bracket' (again as they exist showing multiple makers) - but slightly more intriguing as there are specific A/A collars for E Coy made for this regiment. Additionally officers gilt and enamel cap badges can be found for this regiment.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....

The J R Gaunt London Ltd mark would generally be found on later A/A badges, although I do have a DLI with this mark. I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you but without knowing exact date for this mark , again its hard to say for sure. And yes, I am aware of all the research that Chris has in his book, but in general it would be out of kilter if this badge were contemporary for its potential time of manufacture with this mark.

Clearly these badges (the contemporarily correct makers marked ones) make their way eventually onto the market and collectors possession, whether they originate from an unopened box of unused badges at a TA centre stores or out the back door from Firmins. I'm not sure why they would be described as unofficial when research shows that clearly they were official and even manufactured, (they exist) albeit slightly prematurely if they were not actually required or ultimately issued and a cancellation notice from MOD procurement wasn't timely enough.

In much the same way as the Hants and Gloster Regt exists but was not required - which actually makes them more unusual and interesting. Again a whole raft of insignia destined for this regiment can be found - buttons, titles, officers badges etc. The A/A badge is found in multiple makers too.

I'm not sure you can really gather them in the same camp as the other well known fakes, which I wholeheartedly agree with.

Its all great debate spawning some good information and on my part . . . . learning has taken place.

Regards all

Bess

Last edited by Alan O; 14-04-16 at 05:32 PM.