View Single Post
Old 04-07-17, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
I need an explanation please. He was commissioned in the RCHA 23 Fruary 1915 but, commission only signed only 22nd June 1918....????

Jo
Somebody forgot to request the commission script (or else the paperwork got lost). Nothing out of the ordinary and I can speak from personal experience that it was known to happen up until the 1980s (and probably till today). There is a significant gap been the date of "seniority from" and the date of the GG's signature on my script (but not the three year gap of this officer's). If the authority responsible for requesting the document could miss the requirement to do so in the relatively calm era of my commissioning (though the circumstances were slightly unusual), then imagine the record keeping nightmare of the war when thousands of "temporary gentlemen" were being plucked from the ranks.

The question should be: "Why is this officer's commissioning script in his personnel file and why wasn't it given to him?" This is not a document that would normally be in a service record - not even as a copy.

It should be noted that Captain Gimblett, was already an officer (a Lt. since 18 Aug 1912) when the war started. So, another question should be "why are they giving him another commission script".

Last edited by Blackadder1916; 04-07-17 at 07:52 PM.