View Single Post
Old 17-10-16, 01:11 PM

I take it you know that the original owner of this particular eagle was actually a member of the Pathfinder Force at some point?

[QUOTE=zorgon;379168

Image one illustrates a RCAF pathfinder wing issued between 1943 and 45. The style is recognizable and from the front, identical to that often found on the officer’s wedge cap badge of that era. This example is unique in that it has the makers mark of the Montreal manufacturer, C.Lamond and die struck with two post fasteners. The width is 55mm. Image two shows what appear to identical but are manufactured with much lighter construction and usually stamped rather than cast and fitted with rather fragile tangs or stronger screw posts.
One important consideration on this and perhaps all badges is the weight. This marked example weighs 6.4 gm compared to the standard un-marked equivalent style cast and stamped badges designed for cap wear which weigh between 4.3 and 4.7 gm. Perhaps weight should be used more often to help determine and identify badges? As Warren Carroll notes on p.15 of Eagles Recalled, this example has a completely flat tail which I think was probably ground flush prior to finishing and gilding. It’s definitely a higher guality than normally found. How Mr. Carroll knew to describe this as a Pathfinder eagle, I wish I would have asked.[/QUOTE]