View Single Post
Old 13-06-20, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
Nozzer, what are you pointing out in your picture- I am not sure I understand? Thanks,

Terry
There is a well known and much discussed (in other threads) series of MGC fakes with a die flaw across the crown. The flaw manifests itself as notches or a line across the central vertical support about 2/3’s of the way up as highlighted here by the red arrows on this WM fake.

The 3 most common MGC series repros are:

1. Crown with the wide gap between the pearls and central cross recently discussed here: https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...90&postcount=2
2. Line flaw in the crown as per above
3. Fake with the large tall crown similar to the earlier MGC badges e.g. https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...68&postcount=7

These are all discussed in other threads on numerous occasions if you search Machine Gun Corps or Motor Machine Gun Corps etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffsyeoman View Post
My thanks too, to Nozzer; for vindication. The times I have told people that the original MMG badges - as the Motor Machine Gun Service, a precursor to the MGC, should have - to put it prosaically "big, tall crown + "fat" guns" and been howled at by people who have bought duds at high cost based on a bad copy standard MGC badge are countless.

Next episode; "No, that Royal Naval Division MGC badge isn't real either"
Indeed 99.99% of all RND MGC badges seen are fake. The factory brazed ones in my belief are totally wrong with them being made under local conditions.

However there are two badges shown on the forum which I believe to be genuine. One is in Paddy’s album another is shown in a thread by member TRT. Both exhibit all the characteristics I would expect to see in such a badge. Alan O recently posted a link to a badge shown on BBC website with provenance, however it has been chromed and the thumbnail is rather small.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CC909672-F757-416B-824D-76897680DBF9.jpg (84.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 1BF59D0D-9988-4E4A-8D1A-68AC0EEC79E8.jpg (81.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg A7BF2E65-9905-420B-A1EB-460E64B152E1.jpg (51.2 KB, 23 views)