View Single Post
Old 04-07-20, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
Gents, I post the attached purely as something of interest and not a little pride on my part.

My Grandfather was a reservist in the Middlesex Regt prior to the war, however was not mobilised as he worked on the railway, a position which precluded him for military service as it was a reserved occupation. He was however a Team Leader on a Civil Defence Rescue Team ( effectively rescuing people from bomb damaged buildings etc). No doubt at times a most harrowing occupation in it's own way.

He died about 5 years before I was born, therefore sadly I never knew him. He was I am assured a lovely man and sorely missed by the wider family when he died.

The attached letter I was given by my Dad recently and post it here for your interest.

I do recall seeing this as a child, when my Grandmother showed it to me. It transpired that my Grandfather had omitted to mention this dangerous action to her, and she only found out about it when the attached letter dropped on the Matt. She was not impressed.

For my late Grandfather, Robert Bessent. Your are still remembered.

Regards all

Bess
A great letter. The full story of the UX mine is told in this excellent booklet. (The Rescue Squad is mentioned, but not Mr Bessent):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ordeal-in...wAAOSwyKhe5jyM