View Single Post
Old 02-10-21, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
sorry if I have offended in any way but I would think the ability to get refunded for buying fake goods of any calibre would be good news to anyone so disadvantaged to be in that situation, badges, coins, stamps, antiques it's all the same thing, i may be a rookie on the subject of British cap badges but after 30 years of metal detecting I do know my stuff on many historical subjects and have had good finds placed in museums, so I look at it as swings and roundabouts, its all there to learn,
Hi Dave ,

I initially found the descriptions/terminology to be confusing :

FAKE - not true, real, or genuine : COUNTERFEIT, SHAM

REPRODUCTION - REPRODUCTION, DUPLICATE, COPY, FACSIMILE, REPLICA mean a thing made to closely resemble another. REPRODUCTION implies an exact or close imitation of an existing thing.

RESTRIKE - a coin or medal struck from an original die at some time after the original issue.

It would be illegal to sell any of the above if you claimed it was genuine/original but not if you clearly stated that it was a reproduction or restrike.

A well know eBay dealer who sold 'fake' military badges was prosecuted by Trading Standards , he had been investigated and found to have made hundreds (if not thousands of items) but was actually charged with "supplying a poppy pin badge that was in breach of a trademark; and having in his possession for supply, poppy emblem badges in breach of a trademark."

If a seller clearly states that a badge is a repro or restrike he is not , legally , doing anything wrong and would not have to accept a return if someone mistakenly 'assumed' it was genuine.

If the seller claims they do not know if a badge is genuine it is up to the buyer to decide if the want to take the risk.

As others have stated , it's a minefield , but with some research .....and patience it can be a really great hobby , so don't get stressed and simply learn from any mistakes you've made.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted