View Single Post
Old 20-06-21, 08:12 PM

Hi Chay,

There are two very common fake Machine Gun Corps cap badges. The one with the flat base to the scroll and the one with the flaw in the crown. I have made several posts on these two badges, so you should be able to find them with ease.

On to the one that you have in the opening post. I noticed this variant a short while back and I am of the firm belief that it is a fake of fairly recent manufacture, possibly from an original, but worn die. Notice the flash and the poor alignment of the cutting, especially around the guns. The fact that it has lugs is a dead give away and I have never seen it with a shank (slider).

There are several variants of this type of cap badge, with some being of fairly poor manufacturing so I wouldn't always dismiss a badge because it isn't the smartest looking badge. When they where being manufactured there where more urgent requirements and I am sure it was a case of speed over beauty.

Keep a close eye on this badge, because once they start fitting a shank to it and with the passage of a few years, they might just start creeping into collections.

All the best,

Andrew