View Single Post
Old 09-08-22, 05:52 PM

Default Possible West Riding Artillery Cap Badge

Hello everyone,

I bought the attached badge this weekend from a boot sale - the seller told me that he found it in a river whilst metal detecting, which explains it's sorry state! I've had a look through old posts on the forum to try and learn more about it, and I think that it may be the cap badge for the 3rd West Riding Brigade RFA (TF). I have some questions about it, and I was wondering if anyone could help me?

My first question is if it's a genuine badge. I know that the RA variant badges, including the 'West Riding' badge are widely faked, but according to the old posts I read, the 'W.Riding' badge is not faked. Is this true, and was this badge genuinely lost years ago in the river or was it hurled in by a frustrated collector!

My second question is on condition. I know that this badge is in rough shape, but if it is genuine, is it a good idea to use something like renaissance wax or something similar to try and preserve the badge? Or, is it better just to leave it alone? Since taking the photos I've carefully removed the little stones from the badge and given it a light clean with soap and water.

Lastly, am I right in thinking that it belongs to the 3rd West Riding Brigade RFA (TF) and does anyone know roughly when and where this badge would have been worn?

Thank you for your time everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WRidingFront.jpg (78.3 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg WRidingBack.jpg (92.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg WRidingSide.jpg (82.6 KB, 49 views)