View Single Post
Old 14-09-11, 11:14 AM

I do not understand the word "Gurkha" here. Even when there were people of the brahman caste in a Gurkha regiment, they would wear the badge of that Gurkha regiment.

The caption says it is the 1st Brahmans. The 1st Brahmans existed from the 1903 unification of the Indian Army until the 1922 reorganisation, when they became the 4th Bn, 1st Punjab Regiment.

From 1901 - 1903 they where the 1st Brahman Infantry of the Bengal Army. (The caption fits this also).

Before 1901 they were the 1st Regiment of Bengal Infantry. One of the few Bengal regiments that survived the Great Mutiny. Before the Great Mutiny they where the 21st BNI.

They where indeed raised in 1776 (as the badge says) as the 30th Bn of BNI, renumbered 23rd in the same year. There was more renumbering, but I think that is not important here.

The picture I have of the 1st Brahmans badge is very different (a crowned number 1 with a scroll BRAHMAN'S beneath. but officers badges (especialy 1901 - 1903) could be different. OTOH I vaguely remember I have seen badges with fish earlier.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages