View Single Post
Old 11-05-21, 08:33 AM

Hi John

Many thanks for the info. I did look for your PM but as you say it seems to have vanished. It's immaterial as the owner has now decided that he doesn't want to sell it and would rather hang on to it. It's annoying as my last offer was within a few hundred pounds of what he wanted for it but ultimately it's his decision as to what he decides to do with it. And I suppose that leaves me more money to buy other things for the collection ...

It's interesting to hear about the ones made for the Trafalgar Centenary in 1905. I've seen so many pictures of them being worn at Navy Week and the Royal Tournament during the inter-war period. I'd even settle for one of those as at least they have a connection to the Corps!

I'm obviously disappointed that I couldn't purchase it. But just being allowed to handle it meant so much to me. My ancestors were all marines during the American Revolutionary War and the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars. That is one of the reasons I was so keen to get it - regardless of the cost. At least I tried!

Once again many thanks to everyone for their advice, information and general encouragement to go for it! Maybe one day ...

Pete
'It is upon the Navy, under the good providence of God, that the Wealth, Prosperity and Peace of these islands and of the Empire do mainly depend' - Preamble to the Articles of War in the reign of Charles II