View Single Post
Old 17-11-18, 09:12 AM

Hello Christophe,
That is a truly superb frame, a really nice, untouched thing to actually find these days.
What is the large fleur de lis on the right of the cross, can we see a photograph of it please?

I have been the ossuary on Douaumont ridge, as well as the Voie Sacree from Bar Le Duc, I do remember Erize La Grande, but, to be quite honest, I was really far too young to understand it's true significance, as I would later go on to do, appalling certainly, but, a lasting reminder to French courage.
Again, a fantastic frame, I like it very much.
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdun View Post
hello

i would like to share with you my last addition to my war souvenirs collection

a frame made in the 30's by a french soldier's family. On the back of this frame there is an engraved inscription that says:
british souvenirs and "croix du combattant" (combatant cross) of Georges Degroote died in the field of honor on 25 february 1916 in Douaumont at the age of 23

Douamont is an emblematic place of the battle of Verdun
After some research, it appears that G Degroote was in 110th line infantry regiment stationed in Dunkirk in 1914, unfortunatly he died in the first days of the battle of Verdun

thoses badges were either sent to his family before 1916 by the soldier himself, either sent after his death with his personal belongings by the french army. They were framed probably in the beginning of the 30's when the soldier received the "croix du combattant" posthumously

Among those badges there are some strangeness at least for me

first
a royal welsh fusiliers 3rd VB cap or collar badge i do not know
this kind of badge were issued during WW1 ????

two
a white metal die cast east lancashire badge

three
a very strange middlesex regiment cap badge. Strange because its quality is very poor ,,before removing it from the frame i thought it was a sand cast badge! Actually it is a die struck territorial one with the "south africa " scroll which has been covered with an "albuhera" scroll !!!

all comments are welcome

thank in advance
regards
christophe