View Single Post
Old 14-11-18, 01:39 PM

It may be helpful if I quote from a the book which I have (The Book of Public Arms by Arthur Charles Fox-Davies) which was published in 1894:-

"GLOSSOP (Derbyshire) - Has no Armorial Bearings. The Corporation represents upon a chapeau proper a lion statant guardant with tail extended, and underneath the motto, "Virtus veritas libertas". This crest is, of course, that of Lord Howard of Glossop. It would be interesting to know if any member of the Howard family sanctioned this appropriation."

The term Corporation relates to the local authority for the Borough of Glossop. The Corporation continued to utilise this "appropriated" Arms until 1919, when they obtained their own grant of arms.

I don't collect military badges. However, I've collected British police insignia since the early 1960's and can confirm that in times past the military and police in some areas used either the same or similar badges.

The gent depicted in the photo is obviously a soldier. I've no idea what regiment (or whatever) he is from. However, I would suggest that his unit has an affiliation with either Glossop or Derbyshire. I hope this is helpful.

Dave.