Thread: Patina
View Single Post
Old 13-07-11, 03:44 PM
Mr.P.Dreary

I'm new to collecting military badges but have given much thought to the cleaning conundrum. Most will agree it's basically a question of degree. Removing dirt and grime is more than reasonable in my opinion. If the original detailing is protected a sympathetic clean can only enhance. However, I do not like to see years of age and patina lost forever. A skilled jeweller may offer sympathetic restoration, a chemical formula a pleasing shine, but surely something is lost? The idea of wiping away layers of history bothers me. Most of the badges I own are are worn and damaged and generally bear witness to a hard life. Yet, for all their faults, I prefer to look at the battered and bruised than the pretty and pristine. Maybe it's misplaced romanticism on my part but its how I feel. None of this means I only want broken down old badges in my collection. There's always room for fine examples without resorting to plastic surgery. I hope my words are not perceived as an attack on those who see things differently. We all pursue are hobbies in are own unique way and this is not a campaign to win hearts and minds.