Thread: NZE
View Single Post
Old 21-04-20, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anzac16 View Post
Hello,
Do you have any pictures of the back of these badges?
I wonder if they used to be sand-cast or die-struck or maybe flat on the back?
And if they could be made by J.R.Gaunt London and get the Gaunt tab on the back like many NZ badges?
Unfortunately, I've not seen many of them.
Thank you very much.
Regards
Hi Anzac16,

The smaller NZE cap badge was first issued on the 17th June 1912 and appear to have been supplied by Gilbert Beattie of Christchurch, who was an agent for J R Gaunt.
The regulation size was 1 inch wide by 1 ½ high (38mm), but most of the Gaunt NZE badges that I have measured are closer to 40mm high.
The brass Gaunt NZE badges were all die stamped and are hollow backed, whereas the Gaunt bronze officer NZE badges are solid backed.

During WW1 NZE cap badges were made in New Zealand, they were mostly die struck and are pretty much identical to the brass Gaunt made NZE badges.
Stokes and Sons, Melbourne, Australia also manufactured NZE cap badges during WW1, they were die struck with a solid back and measure closer to 42mm.
The only NZE sand cast version that I have seen, showed signs of a Gaunt tag on the back.

The larger Tunnellers cap badge was issued after they were formed on the 12th September 1915 (Disbanded 24th April 1919).
The tunnellers cap badges measure 48mm high, excluding officer badges, are all die stamped and are hollow backed.
The lugged tunnellers cap badge versions (D type lugs), are found with and without Gaunt tags on the back.
The slider tunnellers cap badge version, have Tiptaft stamped on the slider. It is likely the Tiptaft version is late issue circa mid-1917 to 1918. (Beware I have seen very good copies of this badge, only the weight gives it away)

Over the years I have seen good and bad copies of Tunnellers badges, but as yet I have not seen an honest sand cast version.

Brent