View Single Post
Old 23-11-21, 08:01 PM

Default DZ blues

Colin,

Over the years the colour of 9 Sqn DZ's has varied from pale blue to dark blue through to a paler dark blue. The size has also varied from 2 inch square to almost 3 inch. Before the advent of merrowed edge supplies it was very much was based on what was to hand and who was doing the stitching.

In the early 1970's I used to RV with Major Tom Duffy during Airborne Forces day as he used to keep me topped up with any DZ's he come across. One year had not turned up anything so he decided to take me on a tour of unit QM's. He had been QM 3 Para so could grace these hallowed grounds. At 9 Sqn it was requested that I could be supplied with an example of the current DZ. In response the SQMS threw me a pair of scissors and the remnants of a pair of issue PT shorts and I was invited to cut them myself, though not quite that politely!

So the sample shown might be 9 Sqn (on point) or 2 Para (square) but has not been sewn around to make a neat unfrayed edge. It has the potential to be turned into a DZ for use but is not yet there.

Best regards,
Andy