View Single Post
Old 24-07-16, 07:23 AM

Default RND mini collection

Just a reminder that there is no such thing as an RND Chaplains badge!

The metal chaplains badge that is often assumed to be a cap badge for chaplains with the RND is not. It is a lapel badge issued to chaplains serving with the fleet or in naval establishments. Naval chaplains didn't wear any uniform so had problems with sentrys and members of the public demanding to know why they weren't in uniform! The badge was intended to be worn on the lapel of civilian suits or clerical garb.

The other thing to remember is that this badge wasn't introduced until April 1918. By this time there were no RN Chaplains serving with the RND in France. Long before this date naval chaplains had been replaced by army chaplains in all units of the RND on the Western Front. I suppose that naval chaplains would have been attached to the RND training depots in the UK but there would only have been one or two of these - and many naval chaplains refused to wear the new badge as its design wasn't popular.

The only reason I mention this is because I have known so many RND collectors who have spent a lot of time and money trying to track down an example of the 'RND' chaplains badge - only to find it isn't! Still, it is a nice, scarce badge.

Time to get off my high horse!

Pete