View Single Post
Old 19-10-07, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
Keith,
Interesting to see the East Surrey badge (I don't know much about cavalry). It can't be a cut down pagri badge as I don't think they ever served overseas - though I'm not an expert in their history (if they had been in South Africa it would have been pre slider days). I think with other cut down sliders I have seen (on later badges generally) we'll never know the reason, though to be cut ABOVE the base of the badge makes it b****y difficult to fit into a cap. Interesting that it's constructed from two pieces too.

What would also be interesting is to find the scars of where loops had been burned off on a badge with a slider - which should date it to 1903ish ! Also a HPC treated the same way !
Any offers ?
Julian
I honestly don't think we'll ever know either. I did once have a couple of cavalry badges where the lugs had been removed and ground right down and a slider attached very neatly. I may still have some pictures and will post them if I do.

As for the Surrey's being two piece (the 2nd VB also comes this way) I think the SA scrolls were attached to pre-1905 stock (I say 1905 as I believe this is the date when SA honours were granted to be worn). Gaylor mentions the subject of the variations: for example some VB badges come with a QVC, KC and a KC with SA honour. I can't see them making a special die until stocks were exhausted.