View Single Post
Old 04-07-21, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3battalion View Post
My first impressions when I obtained the wing I posted was that it was WW2 but then a very experienced Rhodesian collector shared the photo of it being worn and stated that it was the first version of the parachute wing issued by post war Rhodesian forces.

I believe it's perfectly feasible that the design was copied from a war-time wing perhaps even copied from the one highlighted on a black background.

I'll search my photo archives and see if I can find a wartime photo of a similar wing being worn.

Paul
The Rhodesian collector was possibly Peter Garratt. His username was rhodesianmilitaria and he used to be on this forum. I'm a friend and help him every now and then with the book that he is writing.
The b&w photo that shows the wing in question being worn was supplied to him years ago by his friend, Craig Fourie.
Peter believes the wing was made post WW2 even though he doesn't have any evidence of that.
His info from Craig was that it was worn by Rhodesians and Brits (who had moved to Rhodesia) who had been para trained during the war. Rhodesia didn't have a PTS at that time so logically they never had any para wings of their own so they adopted this wing.
Some list this para wing as being Rhodesian but it's not. It was the first army para wing worn in Rhodesia but it was neither designed nor made there.
The Ghana wing is interesting and there is a major difference between the two. He thinks it's possible they were made in the UK by the same company but he has no evidence.
Any information is helpful and I'm sure he'll give anyone due credit in his book.
Thanks for all of the information.