View Single Post
Old 06-04-10, 04:24 PM

Default Help with slider lengths

Hello Julian

No worries about the briefness of your postings - believe me when I say I’m more than grateful to you for trying to clarify things for me! At the end of the day I’m merely trying to understand why the two Leicesters territorials’ badges that I’ve put up have sliders that are markedly longer than all the other Leicestershire badges I have. This is what set me thinking that it might be because they were for some kind of headgear that only the territorials were wearing, at least in their early years, and this, in turn, is why I surmised it could have been for the Brodrick Cap - as I outlined in my initial posting to this thread about things. Though as Alan has pointed out, without any kind of evidence about what they were wearing it would now seem unlikely this was what these badges were for, especially as we know the Brodrick went out in 1906-07 and the territorials didn’t come into being until 1908; even if some units do appear to have carried on wearing it for a few years after 1907.

So far I haven’t seen any other longer slidered post-1896 Leicestershire Regiment badges, apart from the other Gaunt one which began the thread. I’m pretty sure both my badges are pukka, and that the Gaunt one is an adaptation of a regular Leicesters ORs badge with its original lugs removed along with the ‘Hindoostan’ top scroll - which to me does suggest an earlier date for its conversion, and is why I personally think these badges date nearer to 1908 than 1914. The fact Alan ascribes his longer slidered badges to the Great War is very interesting, and I look forward to hearing more on this. If you do come up with anything on when the more standard sliders came in, by which I mean those that are approximately 35mm (1⅜ʹʹ), then that would be most helpful indeed.

Best regards

Martin

P.S. Thank you for your P.S. pointing out the WO took over responsibility for TF badges in 1915 and not 1916, as this now brings the possible dates of the badges down to just eight years, even if we don’t yet know what they were worn with!

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 07-04-10 at 10:55 AM.