View Single Post
Old 25-03-15, 04:25 PM

Prisoner of the Rising Sun by Stanley Wort
Hardback

Bought from Amazon for one penny plus £2.85 P&P

This is one man's memoir of his time in the Royal Navy in Hong Kong and as a captive of the Japanese, during WW2.

If you've read a lot of such memoirs (as I have) you'll find that much of what Mr Wort says matches up with the tales of others. He didn't slave on the Burma Railway however but rather was taken to work in factories in Japan whilst being starved almost to death.

The books is more a series of anecdotes than a chronological memoir and the author points this out in a preface; so in that respect it's rather like being told a selection of tales of the war by your granddad.

I enjoyed this book. I'd call it a light read and not too long either. If there was one fault, and it was a minor one, but pernickety me has to point it out: whoever the proof reader was in Pen & Sword Books the day this went through should be shot as some of the spelling is atrocious and I wonder how it ever got passed for printing. It didn't spoil my enjoyment of the book.