View Single Post
Old 04-03-15, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 View Post
The First Day on the Somme
By: Martin Middlebrook
Amazon - £10.68 but Abebooks has many second hand copies for 68p

Returning home from Holiday in France, Martin Middlebrook found himself passing through the Somme. He was overawed and humbled by the number of Commonwealth War Grave cemeteries and was intrigued by the fact that they varied in size from a few graves right upto to those such as Serre No 2 which has several thousand.. He was moved by the sight to write a book which would concentrate on one day only of the battle - 1st July 1916. He interviewed many soldiers who took part in the horrendous events of that day and used their accounts to weave together an account of the battle at different parts of the front line throughout the day from 7.30 in the morning right through to late evening. The result is a book that tears at the emotions and is almost impossible to put down. Anyone who intends to visit the Somme battlefield will find that the book will enrich their experience. It is no surprise that military historians voted the book the best one ever written about World War 1.
I have the hardback edition of this. I bought it from a book club when I was still serving - round about 1980. It probably cost me about five or ten quid at the time. In those days it was hard going to read but it's due a re-read round about now along with one or two others I haven't opened, except for reference, over the last 20 or 30 years. I note that Amazon have the paperback for as little as 1p plus P&P: a marvellous price. Hardcover from £10.70.