Thread: NZ ORDNANCE
View Single Post
Old 01-12-16, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
I’m guessing the Major in the Mulheim picture is Norman Joseph Levien whom I mentioned in post #28, sadly he is not wearing service stripes to confirm his long service, but how many Majors in the NZEF NZAOC in 1919 were there?
I still believe Major Levien would have been a key player behind the adoption of the NZEF Ordnance badges.
Hi Brent,

Levien was at Sling Camp during 1919 so I believe that the Major in the Picture is Charles Gossage, who was the DADOS of the NZ Division at the time.

You are quite right on your assumption that Levien was a key Player in the adoption of badges. He was the NZEF (UK) Chief Ordnance Officer from about June 1916. As the COO he was responsible for the acquisition of all the stores for the NZEF, at the time almost everything was obtained thru the Imperial Ordnance system, except for Jackets, hats and badges which were obtained by tender.

I have found this picture of Lt Col A.H Herbert wearing he the NZEF AOC badge, the picture is dated 1915. He was appointed as the DADOS of the NZ Div from Jan 1916 to May 1917, so it is highly likely this picture as taken 1916/17.
Herbert.jpg