View Single Post
Old 26-10-14, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukman View Post
From my reckoning the 2 varieties of ''Triple fern'' pattern badges worn by soldiers of the NZEF in WW1 ,were the scrolled variety(Oldhams 4/5) and the scrolless variety (unrecorded) .Both varieties unnumbered
Puk your reckoning regarding the first 2 varieties of ''Triple fern'' pattern badges is spot on.
IMO, Geoff Oldham’s brief description of the ''Triple Fern Pattern” and his omission of the ‘2nd Pattern’ Triple Fern badge, needs to be greatly improved for incorporation into his next revised edition, which is rumoured to be coming out with colour pictures.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the rarest of reinforcement badges, the ‘1st & 2nd Pattern Triple Fern badges’ would have to rate at least a “2.”
The following 1st Pattern Triple Fern badge is from the Tinto collection.

In comparison, the ‘3rd Pattern Triple Fern badges’ which typically number 1, 2 and 3, would rate a “5” on my personal 1 to 10 scale.

The above set of 3rd Pattern Triple Ferns has only recently come together, and interestingly enough belongs to fellow Wellington Collectors Club member Kapitidave, who you might remember was the one who pushed Trade-me bidder Torwood to achieve the record price paid for a 3rd Pattern Triple Fern badge, which is mentioned in this thread you started back in December 2012.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ht=triple+fern

The following superb 3rd Pattern Triple Fern picture was used in the above thread and from the renowned collection of Craig Hooper.
Note the size difference of the NZ regulation shoulder numerals 1, 2 and 3, compared to the numerals that are sweated on to the Triple Fern badges.

The following 3rd Pattern Triple Fern picture was also used in the above thread and is from the collection of fellow forum member James (aka – stevjp)

The following set of 3rd Pattern Triple Fern badges belonged to fellow forum member, the late Shaun Aumua.

Last edited by atillathenunns; 30-07-17 at 06:25 AM.