View Single Post
Old 24-08-14, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Hmmmm...not really
Would love to have seen it written in the line marked "Description" that would be too easy.
If the design is meant to resemble a NZ Fantail... (Rhipidura fuliginosa) I would ask him to try again
Would it be possible to get the beak and body shape so wrong?
I wouldn't think so as the fine detail that is shown in all the reo badges in outstanding.
The 21st Cap badge & Collar also shows a distinctive line marking the tips of the tail feathers, a trait of the Huia but not found with a Fantail.
They do however share a tail that can fan out as in the image shown in post 7.
Nothing against the Fantail!
Sorry if it seems I am highjacking the thread, The only stupid question is the one not asked
Cheers
Corey, my Great grandfather embarked with the 21st Mounted Rifle Reinforcements, and interestingly enough, the set of 21st Infantry Reinforcement badges (post #5) are the only set of Infantry Reinforcement collar badges that I actually own.

IMO, the extra long beak on the 21st cap badge, and the tail feather tips of the 21st collar badges suggested to me the bird depicted is the Huia. However, having shown the badges to the wife and three friends, all four identified the cap badge as being a fan tail, and the collar badges varied between a Tui (3) and backbird (1), so I decided to go with Lowe’s description and introduce them as a “NZ Fantail bird.”

Until someone comes up with conclusive evidence, the bird depicted should be described as a ‘New Zealand native bird, possibly a Huia or a Fantail.’