View Single Post
Old 08-08-14, 02:33 PM

Now I would firstly like to point out that I am no expert when it comes to NZ Reinforcement badges, but then again I am no novice. Much of my knowledge is drawn from NZ badge books, and it is Geoffrey Lowe’s book “New Zealand Reinforcement Badges 1914-1918” that has helped me the most when it comes to putting Reinforcement badges into a logical order, so much of my own research is inspired by what Geoffrey Lowe wrote over 27 years ago.

Lowe’s book was never intended to explore relative rarity of NZ Reinforcement Badges, so in order to further my own understanding I contacted owners of two of the oldest badge collections in New Zealand. The first collector was Laurie Osborne whose badge collection is legendary among NZ badge collectors, and Laurie is also one of the few people who originally supplied badges and information for Lowe’s book. The second collector who has also unstintingly provided me with photos of his rare reinforcements badges is fellow forum member Tinto.
Without their help this thread this thread would not have been possible.

However, to really truly understand the beginnings of NZ Reinforcement badges we need to start with. — Who were the first Camp Jewellers at Trentham Camp? As this is where the first reinforcement badges were manufactured and worn.

The first Camp Jeweller to set up shop at Trentham Camp was Horace William Lloyd who was the Michael Hill Jeweller of his day.

Horace Lloyd had learnt his trade as a watchmaker, jeweller, and optician in England, and had worked in Cheapside, London, before moving to New Zealand and taking up employment with W. Littlejohn & Son, who were jewellers located at 85 Lambton-quay in Wellington.
Lloyd with around 15 years’ experience opened his own first jewellery shop at 65 Lambton-quay in 1897.

The second Camp Jeweller to set up shop at Trentham Camp appears to have been Arnold Ashworth Binns.

Interestingly, back in late September 1912, Arnold Binns was employed by Horace Lloyd to manage his jewellers shop located at 114 Cuba Street in Wellington. Unfortunately for Lloyd, Binns had a bad gambling problem, and had resorted to pawning and selling jewellery from the shop to fund his addiction. Binns had gambled that with a win he could return the items he had taken, but luck was not on his side, and only 9 months after he was employed as manager, Binns was arrested and charged with 13 counts of theft of jewellery with a retail value of £165. (Binns salary was £4 a week)
Binns pleaded guilty and was committed to the Supreme Court for sentence.
The total loss to Horace Lloyd was finally calculated at £86, and just prior to sentencing, a draft of £100 had been cabled from Binns family in England to make good on the value of the articles stolen.
His Honour the Chief Justice Sir Robert Stout was on the Bench when Binns was sentenced on the 18th of August 1913, and passing what he considered to be a very light sentence, gave Binns a sentence of eight months imprisonment with hard labour.

The following advert is dated the 20th October 1915.

Last edited by atillathenunns; 29-07-17 at 01:15 AM.