View Single Post
Old 27-07-13, 08:13 AM

When I put together post #13 on Sergeant Alfred Kennedy Sloan, his service records were not available, so my information was very short.
Now thanks to Sunbeam, I have been given a copy of Alf most impressive service record that includes information regarding his service with the Nelson National Reserve during WW2, but more importantly, we get to share some photos of the man himself.

This first photo shows Alf on the left wearing 12th Nelson Regiment collar badges, and two mates without insignia.
Alf is wearing the typical British issue 1915 version of the Model 1907 British Other Ranks (five button) Service Dress Jacket.
The chap on the right is wearing the British Other Ranks (five button) ‘Simplified/Utility’ Service Dress Jacket, which was introduced due to war shortages. It has no rifle patches (reinforcing material extending from the top pockets over the shoulders) or box pleats on the pockets.
Photo taken France 1917.

This second photo shows Alf wearing what appears to be the British issue 1917 version jacket, which has the slightly smaller collar size. (note the different positioning of the 12th Nelson Regiment collar badges compared to the other photo)
On the lower left arm Alf is wearing a wound stipe, and on the lower right arm Alf is wearing one red service chevron indicating 12 months overseas service beginning on or before the 31st December 1914, and three blue chevrons which indicate a further 3 years of overseas service.
The lemon squeezer that Alf is wearing has a 12th Nelson Regiment hat badge attached to an infantry puggaree (khaki/red/khaki).The two metal air vents located on both sides above the puggaree, indicate that the hat was made by a British manufacturer.

So that brings us to Alf’s lemon squeezer hat, which currently has a 2nd (South Canterbury) Regiment badge and was first mentioned in post #27.
From what I can see from the following photos, and from others that Sunbeam has sent me, the hat has no makers marks, and is typical of NZ felt hats produced between 1915 and 1939.
The puggaree appears to be original to the hat, but the 2nd (South Canterbury) badge however, is attached by a match stick instead of a brass split pin, so I have serious suspicions that it is not original to the hat.
If anybody else would like to offer up their opinion, or even just a correction to any of my observations, please do speak up.