View Single Post
Old 09-03-12, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinto View Post
Hi Brent,
You are most likely right in your reasoning.
The big mystery then, is what happened to all the lugged "ONWARD" collar badges (presumably with oakleaves, not fernleaves)?
Geoff Oldham illustrates smallish "ONWARD" collar badges (with oakleaves), possibly smaller than what Sapper Astley was wearing.
Cheers, Tinto
Tinto, thankyou for posting the solid crown British Section cap badge.
At the moment until this badge mystery unravels a bit more, I can only speculate that it is this version of British Section cap badge which is a match to the collar badges (4/232) shown in Geoff’s new badge book, as they also have non voided crowns.

Whatever the case may be, the British Section did not wear the badge (4/230) that is shown in Geoffs book.

Also by any chance do you have badges 4/229?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukman View Post
Now all the ducks are starting to line up.If we take the assumption that the "Oakleaves "" British section hat badge was not worn by members of the British section,is it then possible that their collar badges were not of that design ?,rather just the standard fern leaves Onward collar.The Onward badges were used early in the war by soldiers in other units as illustrated by this photo of this Otago Mounted Rifles,Main body man,Edward Orchard 9/187,invalided home in early 1916(died in a car accident in 1917 in NZ).It is still possible that the Laurel leaves collar size badges were worn by the British section,and the cap badge size worn by of later individuals of other units?.

It would have been great to talk to David Corbett to discuss why he come to his conclusions and what was his reasoning behind why he thought the Laurel leaves cap and collar badges were worn by the NZ Brit Section.

I think your discovery of the khaki/red/khaki/red felt hat pugaree is a very important one too ,Brent.Perhaps Johnathan can do a nice colour illustration of this one.
Iain, I agree with your logic that if the British Section NZEF did not wear the oak leaf onward cap badge, it is then very probable that they didn’t wear oak leaf collar badges.

But before you go kicking out the chairs from under Dave Corbett, Malcolm Thomas and Cliff Lords feet, as Tinto pointed out, I think we should sort out a noose for Geoff Oldham, as he seems to have got it wrong as well.

It is worth considering that Dave had some help putting his badge books together, and it may be very possible that someone else was responsible for the incorrect British Section badge information. Sadly we will never know.

Hopefully Cliff will offer his side of the story, and I am pretty sure we can get Geoff to offer up how he came to his conclusions if we ask him.

PS Fantastic picture of Trooper Orchard.