View Single Post
Old 17-06-08, 04:07 PM

Hi As a collector of almost 40 years I have always felt that there is a great difference between Chrome badges and A/A or Staybrite badges. After the 2nd world war in the late 40's chrome badges were first introduced in an attempt to save soldiers the need to polish badges. The problem was that such badges could only ever be in one colour e.g. silver or white metal. They were fine for regiments such as the KSLI but of no value to regiments with all brass badges i.e. Royal Engineers or bi-metal i.e. The Northants. There advantage was however they were hard wearing. I am told that some of the bi-metal badges were produced in chrome and I have often had these come through my hands. Some old sweats have assured me they wore chrome badges when they were in the territorial army during the late 40's e.g. The Notts & Derby regt. It appears that the problem with regular units having to change bi-metal badges for single tone and the cost of production meant the army eventually chose to go towards anodised aluminium badges. Some units such as the Gurkhas continued using the chrome badges for much longer and are thus more frequently found on the market. I hope this adds to the thread. Best wishes, Graham