View Single Post
Old 23-05-20, 07:42 PM

I would just leave it, if it was free, why spend money, if you want a mint tin and contents, then you can simply go and buy one, although, it would cost rather more these days, these tins could be had at provincial fairs and antique shops for ten to fifteen quid, but, since all the TV programmes, bargain hunt, antique road trip and so on, the prices have rocketed, forty five quid seems quite the norm these days.
The 1916 badges do seem to make the money, I always think that given the numbers involved, it is better to buy as cheaply as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
Was hunting for an enamelled Munitions Volunteer Badge when I spotted this lot and got it for under £40.00 . As I was expecting to pay that price for the badge alone the other items were a bonus (1916 OWS badges are averaging £25.00 at the moment ).

So basically the tin was a 'freebie' !

There are problems with it , so thought I'd ask for advice.

The lid has been 'painted' , is there a safe way to remove paint or should I leave it "as is" ?

Also back lower corner damaged/holed , someone has done a 'basic' repair (blob of solder !) , do you think a jeweller/metalsmith could restore it properly or should I just leave it "as is" ?

As I have said , it really cost me nothing and is a nice decorative item but just wondered what others would do.