View Single Post
Old 27-02-11, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
The yellow viking head on blue shield was the East Anglian Brigade (Training Group) formation badge in wear circa 1948 - 1958. It was based on the East Anglia District formation badge of a yellow viking head on a red shield.
Presumably the East Anglian Brigade wore the badge on the left arm with viking facing forward whereas the District sign was worn on both arms?
East Anglia District signs - white on red - came in facing pairs, embroidered on felt and printed, and was worn on both arms.

Since in theory they were worn only on the left arm - the East Anglian Training Brigade Group sign - yellow on blue, printed and embroidered on felt - should only face left (ie to the front). However, I have a BD blouse badged to a RB 2Lt serving in 7 Armd Bde who wears the Greenjackets Training Brigade Group sign - printed - on both arms below the 7 Armd Bde sign. I mention this to indicate that the rules ref "left arm only" were in this case ignored. This - or the oft-quoted "manufacturer's error" - may account for the occasional yellow on blue Viking's head facing right. I also have a note - from photographs seen years ago in 1 Green Howards' Officers Mess that for some unaccountable reason members of that battalion in Malaya in Jan 52 were wearing the Yorkshire and Northumberland Training Brigade Group sign on OG shirts. Perhaps they could not bear to be separated from the white rose?