View Single Post
Old 03-08-22, 01:58 PM

Default 1980's

I wore one in the '80's & preferred the Dowler + M&B to the Gaunt aesthetically.

There is a new book out on the Regt which covers it's badges well from the same author as the HONDO book recently mentioned on the BBF, '39 Days, A Short History of the UDR', but at close to 100 A4 pages not inc colour plates of badges etc it's not so short.

Glad to see some sensible comments above...the RIrish gold anodised oft mistaken for a UDR badge has a much more bulbous crown but the TKS gives it away...finally dropped about 2007-8 (pic in journal that yr of Afghan medals presented wearing berets)...the rare one to look for is the RIrish officers SILVER bullion beret badge...the PRI sold the last 3 about 10 yrs ago.

Just to clarify, that pic in '07-8 is 1st Bn, although ex UDR served in Afghan (medal group in collection) and sorry but I wore a lugged silver AA caubeen badge on 1/7/92...the PRI had HM'd Edinburgh officers ones at £35 from memory, or a bit cheaper, in the 1990's. I bought a couple for friends.

Recently members may remember the MHS UDR badge article with pages of badges, the Roy B collection. In Radford's new book (colour) and in the MHS article (b&w) the 6 UDR officers bullion beret badge is shown, almost pipers size and only worn by one p/t company for about 6 mths until the Brigadier saw one and had to be worked with as we would say, poor Brig.

Last edited by buttonhole badge; 03-08-22 at 02:20 PM. Reason: add