View Single Post
Old 20-04-13, 08:46 AM

Default Leicestershire Regiment badges identified

Many thanks Alan for allowing me to purchase these Leicestershire Regiment badges for the family collection.

The first is an Officers silver and gilt Victorian Helmet plate 1881-1902. The green cloth backing may well suggest that it belongs to the 2nd or 3rd Battalion. The first Battalion version is in my Leicesters album with a black cloth backing as noted in K&K. K&K note that the The in the title came into effect in 1904, however, I believe this to be an error and The Leicestershire regiment took on this title in July 1881 (Churchill p. 87) as both QVC Officers helmet plates I have bear The Leicestershire Regiment title as is shown in K&K 232 with KC.

The next is an Officers cap Tiger badge in silver and gilt (as per K&K 612). It is a cast two piece badge which is unmarked but similar in construction to my Gaunt marked Officers badge again in my Leicesters album. Dating 1897 through to 1946 but a lugged version like this is likely to be Victorian/Edwardian issue.

The next is an attractive Officers two piece forage cap badge for 1st, 2nd and 3rd battalions. This badge bears the Irish harp for their service in Ireland awarded in 1798 and the Tiger for India (1804-1823). I have an OSD version in the same album. The ORs glengarry 1874-1881 and the Officers helmet plate 1879-1881 (Churchill p. 88).

The smaller badge is an unusual badge - it bears the Tiger and Harp of the Officers forage cap badge but lacks the backing plate and is in gilding metal with broached pin. This could be a side cap badge or an early sweatheart badge.

The collar (not photographed) is an Officers collar with brass lugs and is a noted variant in Churchill Fig. 535 with raised paw.

The buttons are Firmin and Sons sealed Officers pattern.

It is possible that as these badges came from South Africa that they were worn in the Boer war where the 1st Battalion and 3rd Battalion (Leicestershire Militia pre-1881) were engaged. Again the green backing cloth of the HP suggests the 3rd Battalion.

Keen to have advice on these whilst I do more research, cheers and thanks again Alan, Dean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lei.57.f.jpg (69.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg lei.57.r.jpg (56.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg lei.60.f.jpg (71.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg lei.59.r.jpg (86.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg lei.59.f.jpg (106.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg lei.60.r.jpg (80.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg lei.58.f.jpg (93.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg lei.58.r.jpg (79.2 KB, 19 views)