View Single Post
Old 02-03-12, 01:10 PM

Default Leicestershire Vol. Regt Photos

Hi Graham

Many thanks for sharing another great photograph with the rest of us – just shows how educational the Forum can be when members like your good self are so ready to impart their knowledge. If I have things right then the ORs of the Leicestershire Volunteer Battalions would have worn the General Service cap badge, like the solider in your picture, but that the officers would have worn the bronzed OSD badge like the one Dean has that stated this thread, and which appears to also be shown in the photograph of the man from Hinckley with his three sons?

It is also interesting to have it confirmed that following the changes in 1918, and the fact that the Volunteer Regiment’s Battalions became associated with the Leicestershire Regiment, that they did indeed adopt the Leicesters’ tiger badge. Obviously I am particularly interested in this given my research into the Regiment’s tiger cap badges, and so I am personally most grateful to you for this. As to Glenn Steppler’s book, it was actually Griff M-J in post No. 3 to this thread who first mentioned it. As I hadn’t heard of this before myself I took the opportunity of looking through it at the Library the other day, and then thought I might as well post up a summary of what it said about the Volunteer Battalions to the Forum. Good to have the information from the Volunteer Force Directory of 10th October 1916 as well, given this confirms some of what Mr Steppler has. Anyway, thanks again for the latest photo and information – all of which is very much appreciated.

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 03-03-12 at 08:29 PM.