View Single Post
Old 17-03-11, 08:25 PM

Default Territorial Force Badges 1908-1917

Whilst I know there has been mention made on the Forum before about the formation of the Territorial Force in 1908, as well as the 1917 granting to territorial battalions of the right to wear the same honours of the regiment to which they were attached, I don’t believe much in the way of detail on this has been posted before so thought I would take this opportunity to put up a couple of things.

As I am sure most members will know, and to quote Ray Westlake, “the Territorial Force came into being on 1 April 1908” (The Territorial Battalions: A Pictorial History 1859-1985, p. 33). It will no doubt also be familiar to members that most battalions “were permitted [to use] the badges of their parent regiment, but with scrolls etc. that normally display battle honours left either plain or inscribed with any distinction that the TF unit possessed” (British Territorial Units 1914-18, p. 16), or indeed with the scrolls concerned completely absent; as was the case with the 4th and 5th battalions of the Leicestershire Regiment. However I don’t recall there being any direct reference to the relevant section of Regulations for the Territorial Force, and for County Associations dealing with cap badges, so here it is as shown in the 1912 edition:

1917, of course, saw a change in these regulations, with the granting of the right to wear the same honours as the regulars of the relevant regiments (A.O. 298/1917), the announcement of which was recorded in The Army and Navy Gazette of 29 September 1917, p. 641, as follows:

I personally always think it’s good to try and reference things back to original sources where possible, hence why I thought I would share the above on the Forum. Anyway, I hope other members find things of interest, particularly those who collect any kind of territorial badges from the period.

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 17-03-11 at 08:48 PM.