View Single Post
Old 05-07-16, 08:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton407545 View Post
Do you know When the officers have worn this beret was it a BD beret? I just wondered why officers had this type of badge and not a metal type. Unless it was for BD and just made officers easier to identify by the troops? Although that would seem dodgy as I'm sure the Germans could identify them as well. I don't know but was there was something in-between BD and their No1 please
Thank you
Unfortunately I don't have the Regimental History (Non Had Lances) to hand but off the top of my head.

The 24L when formed did not wear the black RAC beret, therefore the full spectrum of officers badges were made for the Regiment, Bronze for wear in Service Dress, Gilt and Enamel for wear on the No1 Dress. A Coloured Field Service Hat was also authorised on which a bullion badge was worn, on the adoption of the RAC beret the bullion badge was adopted for wear for officers and white metal for Other Ranks (OR's), the beret being worn when in Battle Dress (BD). The beret and badge would have been worn from early 1941 until disbandment (officially) late 1944, however Major Northern was wearing it in August when he was wounded whilst serving with the Fife and Forfar Yeomanry, an unofficial practice which I'm sure he was not alone in, particularly when completely formed subunits of the 24L were sent together to their new Regiments where they continued to serve together on arrival.

Kind Regards,

FMT600