View Single Post
Old 14-03-11, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN View Post
After the Tri Service integration period in 1968 some of the RCN rank insignia changed to conform to the Tri Service identity -- thus RCN Petty Officers 2nd class became Sergeants, Petty Officers 1st class became Warrant Officers, CPO2's became MWO, & CPO1's became CWO's.

Prior to the changeover to the CAF green uniforms the PO1, CPO2, & CPO1 insignia changed from the former RCN insignia to that worn by the Army/RCAF insignia :

Thus - PO1 now wore the crown, C2's wore the MWO insignia & C1's wore the CWO insignia, all wre worn on the lower sleeves of the tunic. This changeover took place in 1969 as I recall.

Another item that is not well known as it was only in existance for a short period of time, just prior to the integrated green uniforms coming in -- the Petty Officer 2nd class ratings changed from their former sailor blues, to the Fore & Aft rig worn by PO1's & CPO's, & continued to wear their rank(crossed anchors) & GCB's as formerly worn by PO1's. Their rank insignia did not change, they just changed uniforms. This took place in '69 as well.

I am not in Canada at present so unable to upload photos of these post integration insignia, but will do so when I get home.

Bryan

Illustrated below are the WO, MWO and CWO insignia which relaced the former RCN insignia described in the above article:

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wo MWo CWO 1969 insig.jpg (63.1 KB, 3 views)