View Single Post
Old 11-02-22, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
The reason for my post about the ( ridiculously expensive ) archive on EBay ( and I wish I hadn’t bothered ) was that it seems to show the source of Ernest Martins information for the article on Badges of The OTC which was published in the Spring 1938 of the JSAHR.

An excellent ,well researched article ( in my opinion ) no matter what you might think about the author.
P.
Peter

I agree with you here. It is a very well written article and it's a shame K&K did not cross reference it against their list of OTC badges. if I had one small criticism it is that he does not record all of the OTCs including those who wore a Regular pattern badge. He does say that contingent commanders did not give their permission for their details but I wonder why this was or perhaps they simply did not reply and in those days the information was just not accessible to him?

The fact that he went to the schools and confirmed what they wore is in stark contrast to K&K where they have attributed Hugh King's collection and not always got it right.

Cross referencing EJ Martin's article of 1938 against the 1939 Army list shows the following missing ones. He stated 10 but in fact it was 15:

1. Bishop Veseys - Warwickshire Regiment badge.
2. Brighton GS - school badge
3. Christ College Brecon - South Wales Borderers.
4. Coatham School - Green Howards.
5. Grimsby Municipal College - Lincolnshire regt. (they had dropped their own bespoke OTC school badge)
6. Haberdasher Askes - School coat of arms badge. The cadet corps (closed 1930) had been 3rd Cadet Bn RF.
7. Hulme Grammar Manchester. School badge
8. King's College Wimbledon - School badge
9. King's School Rochester - school badge.
10. Lancing College - school badge
11. Morrisons College - school badge.
12. Mount St Mary's College - school cadet corps badge
13. Sherborne School - Dorsetshire regiment badge
14. Stamford High School - School badge
15. West Buckland school - Devonshire Regiment.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 24-10-23 at 04:27 PM.