View Single Post
Old 21-11-21, 02:55 AM

Always a fun topic. I consider two possibilities. The first was not me really seeking badges, but from having a love and fascination with the RAF. My father, a career Air Force pilot brought me back from a TDY in the Azores an RAF wing (unpadded, and yes, I still have it), and I have treasured it ever since. Then because it was RAF, and now because he brought it to me. I was 16 at the time, so maybe the real first?

Then, a little over 30 years ago I was on my way to get a haircut and across from my barber shop was the city center, and I noticed a sign that said "Military Show". So doing the right thing I went on and got my hair cut!!! But afterwards I went straight to the show, paid my entrance fee, and thought I'd died and gone to heaven! I spent the entire afternoon till closing just walking around and looking. Then I saw a WWI German pilot's badge, and being interested still in aviation and more specifically WWI aviation I stopped to enquire about it. Ended up buying it for waaaaay too much because as I soon learned it was sooooo bogus. But the dealer took me and I learned a great lesson. And yes, I still have it. I think it is Luke H who often advises - buy the badge, not the story, i.e. that seller knew it was fake and told me it was a good one, so shame on me.

But, not sure which to consider the first, but the German Pilot badge started me collecting, while the RAF wing was just treasured.

Terry