View Single Post
Old 14-01-20, 12:13 AM

Re the two cannon facing each other either side of an anchor.

No-one is 100% certain of the origins of this button, but it is increasingly considered to have been worn by a ship's Master Gunner. It was between 1800-10 that buttons for surgeons and physicians, masters and pursers first appeared and it is thought that these buttons appeared around the same time. The design of this button is similar in many respects to those designed for the masters and pursers, etc.

However, as I said, no-one has yet been able to confirm this. But it is highly unlikely that they would have been worn by any form of Dockyard Artillery. The cannon are usually shown mounted on carriages for use at sea - although there are some variations in the design of gun carriage used. Quite a few of these buttons are in existence (I have a couple in my own collection), which suggests they were issued in quite large numbers - certainly on a par with the numbers issued to masters and pursers.

As I said, maybe one day someone will be able to confirm it's identity. Until then it will remain the subject of conjecture - although I'm pretty convinced myself that it WAS used by Master Gunners and my own examples are catalogued as such.

Pete

Last edited by Guzzman; 14-01-20 at 12:18 AM.