View Single Post
Old 22-09-17, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
You have got me thinking now! I will check Chris Marsh's book when I get home.

Alan
Hi Alan,

I'm away from home at the mo so all this by memory but yes, SWB was authorised and genuine ones are by Dowler. They are scarce though. The images shown of the SWB and Welch are knock offs made by Gaunt and sold in the 1980's.

The rule of thumb with cadet forces is that, at least during the AA era, ACF and CCF were affiliated to their local TA battalion and wore the same badge the TA battalion wore which was not always the same badge that the regular battalion wore. Remember, while many regular battalions wore the Brigade badge some TA battalions were 'relegated' to the Regiment's badge hence such arguments over that such and such a AA badge is fake because the regiment wore the Brigade badge at the time forgetting that the TA battalion did not.

The badge worn by the CCF/ACF units could and did change over time. However, CCF at least could have their own badge if OK'ed by (if I remember) the controlling ACF authorities of the day and not by the Army Dress Committee.

In modern day one school has recently recieved official authorisation from the Army Dress Committee to wear a badge of their own design in 'New Metal'. I found no info of ADC authorising a design for ACF/CCF during the A/A era although while in the National Archives researching my book I came across lists of school CCF showing the TA battalions they were affiliated to and the badges they wore be it the school badge or the TA battalion badge.

These lists was from the 1960's and for the North West of England and may also have been for the North East of England.

Regards,

Chris